Install frustration...

Ask questions about installing NL2000 version 3.0 here

Moderator: NL2000 Development Team

KitS

Install frustration...

Post by KitS » Tue May 06, 2008 4:02 am

I've had the downloaded .iso files for 3 days now, but I just CANNOT get them to install....... :(

I have them filed on DVD, using Nero, but nowhere did it ask, or even mention, saving in a special form for .iso files. When I put the discs in the drive all I see is the .iso file. Someone suggested opening with Winzip or Winrar, neither of which work for me. Winzip tries to add files to the .iso file, not unzip them, and Winrar is it's usual inscrutable self, just sitting there and refusing to do anything useful.

I downloaded the DAEMON Tools LIte and installed it, and that started the install off OK with DVD #1, but when I tried to switch virtual DVDs with it, the NL2000 Installer closed down! Then next time it tried to re-install all the files I'd already installed!! There doesn't seem to be any check process to see how far the install has got, and with files this huge that would seem to be an essential process.

I'm about to turn all five DVDs in the bin and go back to old NL2000 scenery because this is just too much hard work.........

Regards
Frustrated Kit

KitS

Post by KitS » Tue May 06, 2008 10:26 pm

Futher to this....

I've finally worked round how to get the files visible via DAEMON tools, and started the install again. I got as far as disc 4, which took some hours of course and yet again it couldn't find a file and stalled.

Then the Install window closed and attempted to DE-Install all the stuff I'd just installed! I Ctrl-Alt-Del out of that, but again there seems no way to pick up where I left off, so what do I do now??

Regards
Even More Frustrated Kit

wolf32
NL2000 Development Team
NL2000 Development Team

Post by wolf32 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:40 pm

Hi there,
I'don't know if you already checked the contents of your iso files.
You can find here a free checksum program with the correct output codes.
Please try this before you continue.
Kind regards
http://www.nl-2000.com/nuke/modules.php ... pic&t=1812

KitS

Post by KitS » Thu May 08, 2008 11:14 am

Hello Wolf,

Yes, I ran the checksum on all five files and they all check out OK.

Over the last few days I've tried to install it maybe five times now, and I get the problems on different .iso files, so it's not an error in the files apparently, just a random file reading problem.

If the install programme would let me stop and re-start it would be a LOT easier. As it is I have to install all five .iso file perfectly in one session it seems.

That's not all that usefull, in fact it's a real pain......... :(

Regards
Kit

wolf32
NL2000 Development Team
NL2000 Development Team

Post by wolf32 » Thu May 08, 2008 11:35 am

Can you tell me what the error says and is it always the same error randomly?
Is it possible for you to put the iso files on a different part of your harddrive or install it on another partion? Remember it should be a NTFS filesystem.
Also can youdo a antivirus/spyware scan and a defragmentation of your harddrive.
If you use demon tools, in fact you do an installation directly from your harddrive it seems that there are some read/write errors at the moment.

KitS

Post by KitS » Thu May 08, 2008 1:12 pm

Not much an error message, more an error in the process.

For example say I've mounted the first .iso file OK in the virtual DEAMON DVD drive and can 'see' the individual files OK. The NL2000 install starts automatically and I select the partition where I want the files to be installed and the FS location OK. The installer then loads the aircraft etc. into the FS and starts installing the scenery files until it wants DVD #2.

Then I dismount the first .iso file with DEAMON and mount the second one, then click on the 'Continue' icon in the NL2000 install. Nothing happens for a while, but the arrow under DVD 2 is still flashing, then it says 'please load the DVD with file no. *******.**' but that exact file is visible if I look at the DEAMON Virtual drive. No matter how many times I click the continue or retry buttons it keeps on coming back.

Then perhaps I try dismounting the DVD, mounting another and then going back to the original one. Sometimes that works, but sometimes not, but even worse is that sometimes the NL2000 install closes and then removes all the files I've just installed!

When I've got as far as DVD #4 and I'm trying to install DVD #5 this is VERY frustrating..........

Regards
Kit

wolf32
NL2000 Development Team
NL2000 Development Team

Post by wolf32 » Thu May 08, 2008 1:25 pm

I can understand that it's frustrating as you mentioned before.
Unfortunaly I've no experience by using the program deamon tool but I know there are lots of users who used it without any problems, perhaps some other user can give you also support in this.
To me it seems an read/write problem on the drive but that's regarding your info till now.
You mentioned earlier before to use Nero burning software perhaps you can find in the manual from Nero or on the internet how to burn the iso file on dvd the right way as far as I know Nero should have that option.
During the install process when it askes for some file or dvd and you press on cancel indeed ik will remove the whole installation till that point.
This is at the end of the installation it will update your scenery.cfg so if the process don't arrive to this point it will clean itself by deleting the unsuccesfull installation.

KitS

Post by KitS » Thu May 08, 2008 11:07 pm

I've just tried a seventh install with pretty much the same result as before....

This time I got as far as the third .iso file before it crashed out on me with this screen.

and yes, I DID have disc #4 in the 'drive' at the time!

This 'wrong volume' msg is a dead end, once it appears that's it and you have to Alt-Ctrl-Del out of the NL2000 prgramme and start all over again. That is after you've deleted all the files you've just installed to make enough room on the drive.........

If the install programme had some sort of checking facility built in to figure how many of the discs had already been installed it would save a lot of trouble. The 'self cleaning' business can't be THAT necesarry surely? If the scenery.cfg file ends up with one too many entries it will just bring up an error when FS9 starts which you can 'OK' out of.

I'm going to try once, and only once more, it's driving me, and my wife, totally nuts..........

Regards
Kit

wolf32
NL2000 Development Team
NL2000 Development Team

Post by wolf32 » Fri May 09, 2008 8:29 am

Can you try the following trick.
When you get this error, dismount the virtual dvd and mount virtual dvd1 and press on continue or try again (i don't know exactly what button but you've to try one of these buttons) and then you've to dismount dvd1 and mount the wright dvd at that point so it will go further.
So you have to act like a discjockey by mounting each time you got this error to dvd1 and back to the wright dvd.
Kind regards

KitS

Post by KitS » Fri May 09, 2008 10:40 pm

I tried that but the same problem recurred, once that error message appears it seems the install routine can't read the DAEMON files for some reason.

But an idea from one of my friends in the vRNLAF did work!

He suggested copying the un-coded .iso files from the DAEMON drive to a separate folder, all five DVDs into one folder, and then do the install from there, and it worked fine. The install routine switched from DVD to DVD automatically and the setup screens appeared at the end.

The scenery itself is SUPERB, I've just flown from Eindhoven to Vlissingen VFR using the Dutch road map I have in my head so it's most impressive. Just a pity the install routine is so difficult.

Regards
Kit

wolf32
NL2000 Development Team
NL2000 Development Team

Post by wolf32 » Sat May 10, 2008 8:42 am

Good to hear, that it finely worked out well.
Have some fine flying hours above our country.
Kind regards

Crashdive

Post by Crashdive » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:05 am

KitS,

you have no idea how much trouble you saved me with this idea about saving all "un-demoned" files into a folder and start the installer from there, not only faster but it actually worked for the first time to install this mamouth project. lol

Thank you and your friend for this insight.

Regards,

Crashdive