EHAM surface "soft"

Report a problems with the NL2000 version 3.0 scenery here

Moderator: NL2000 Development Team

geoffco

EHAM surface "soft"

Post by geoffco » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:01 am

Hi,

I have a problem with the EHAM airport part of the NL2000v3 scenery:

The runways / taxiways do not appear to be properly hardened - ie, the user aircraft requires an excessively high thrust for taxiing and also, the nose is seen to jump around when moving at speed. While this is more realistic in a sense, it is wrong for fs9 because: when I try to cross the bridge between the polderbaan and the main area, the plane falls in causing a crash :(

Other active scenery includes UT Europe, World mesh and also I have modified the EHAM AFCAD file because I wanted to change some gate sizes...

Please help,

Geoff

EDIT: Also, adding an "apron" under the AFCAD does not help...

geoffco

Post by geoffco » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:23 pm

Ok - I solved the more annoying part of the problem with a small LWM polygon over the waterway. The ground is still treated as "dirt" by the sim though - 50% N1 needed to roll along at 20kts and dust being drawn behind the wheels...
A question for anyone, not just NL2000 people - Am I really the only person seeing this problem?

Geoff

johanc
NL2000 Development Team
NL2000 Development Team

Post by johanc » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:15 pm

We had those problems in the beta test also, and we solved it by 'erasing ' the water at that groundarea. Are you sure you have activated all the nl2000 ground scenery?
Johan Calje
The Netherlands 2000 Scenery Design Team

geoffco

Post by geoffco » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:05 pm

Hi, thanks for the response.

Yes, when the problem was first observed I had all the NL2000 scenery activated and in the same order in the scenery library as it was after installation.

The problem with the plane falling into the water was solved by making a small lwm polygon using CoastLineMaker which is effectively the same as removing the water from that area.

Do you have any ideas for the non-hardened ground though? I can't see why adding the asphalt "apron" area under the AFCAD didn't sort it, that's solved similar problems in the past...

Cheers,

Geoff

johanc
NL2000 Development Team
NL2000 Development Team

Post by johanc » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:37 am

It seems that afcad doesnt solve those water underground problems. We had to remove the water all te time.

Can you give the exact location of the problem (in coordinates)
Johan Calje

geoffco

Post by geoffco » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:11 pm

johanc wrote:It seems that afcad doesnt solve those water underground problems. We had to remove the water all te time.

Can you give the exact location of the problem (in coordinates)
Ok. The specific place where the plane actaully crashed by falling into water was the "bridge" at N 52*19'38" E 4*23'26". I solved this problem by excluding the water here (and also at a few other places where I thought the problem could occur but hadn't tested)...

However, the remaining problem is that at all places in the scenery the simulator is treating the ground surface as dirt rather than concrete / asphalt etc which causes the plane to move very slowly bounce around during taxi / takeoff... This is what I thought might be solved with the AFCAD modification but wasn't. Any ideas of what to do?

Geoff

PS: I have the following other sceneries under the NL2000 layer: UT Europe, FS Global Mesh...

[/b]

pnauta
NL2000 Development Team
NL2000 Development Team

Post by pnauta » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:41 pm

Hi Geoff,

as indicated this must be something specific to your configuration. So, can you let us know:
- whether you ran the Featurepanel after installation, as instructed?
- if you tried disabling the other sceneries that may affect this area?
- if NL2000 is on top of the other sceneries? Look at the areas / layer numbers in your scenery.cfg.
PM's worden niet beantwoord

geoffco

Post by geoffco » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:49 pm

Hi,

I've tested with only the generic FS9 scenery + NL2000 (all and 3D only) but I do not see any change to the situation. Since I've sorted out the crashing into water problem I think I'll just live with it until such time as I have an afternoon to clean out and reinstall the whole scenery...

Thanks for the great scenery!

Geoff

johanc
NL2000 Development Team
NL2000 Development Team

Post by johanc » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:51 pm

When I use your coords, I'm somewhere in the Northsea, then there is a water problem :) . Are you sure you have installed the scenery right?
Johan Calje

geoffco

Post by geoffco » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:19 pm

johanc wrote:When I use your coords, I'm somewhere in the Northsea, then there is a water problem :) . Are you sure you have installed the scenery right?
Ooops, sorry - I think N 52*19'38" E 4*43'26" is a little closer to the mark!

I've tried stripping the scenery down so that I only have the EHAM airport and a few other bits of the 3D scenery - now I don't have a soft surface anymore... I'll continue testing to see what is in conflict...

Geoff

johanc
NL2000 Development Team
NL2000 Development Team

Post by johanc » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:46 am

Also this coord is not on EHAM (although close) :).

I think, instead of cecking the scenery, I suggest you deinstall the scenery and reinstall it again (maybe even reinstall FS2004).

The problems you mention is not in the NL2000 scenery, but somewhere in the configuration of your currently installed FS2004.
Johan Calje

harryjesse

Post by harryjesse » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:24 pm

Hi Geoff,
both of your problems did hit me too.
For splashing down and jumping up, I found out UT Europe was the reason.
Deactivating part2 solved these case.
For easy and smooth taxiing on these sticky EHAM ground, a taxi tool which comes with a pushback gauge (AVSIM) helps a lot.
Good Luck
Harry

ferrari2k

Post by ferrari2k » Sat May 24, 2008 11:12 am

Hi, I have the same problem, I also had a problem with reinstalling NL2000, but the installation now runs fine.
I also use UT Europe, can you please tell me what Layer 2 is and what I might experience elsewhere in the sim?

harryjesse

Post by harryjesse » Sat May 24, 2008 11:47 am

Start FS9, go to Scenery Library and deactivate Ultimate Terrain- Europe 2.
Good Luck
Harry

ferrari2k

Post by ferrari2k » Sat May 24, 2008 12:31 pm

Erm, I know how to handle scenerys, thanks :)
But I would like to know what effect Layer 2 has and beside the effect in EHAM, what else may I experience elsewhere in Europe?