AI runway useage at EHAM

Stuff that doesn't fit in the other fora

Moderator: NL2000 Development Team

simfly04

AI runway useage at EHAM

Post by simfly04 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:00 pm

Hi

I'm running FS2004 with Ultimate traffic and I have modified the Afcad 2 file which comes with NL2000 scenery (Multi use of runways) to try and make it more realistic. Everytime I fly out of EHAM the AI traffic always use the following. 36R & 06 for landing. Take off is 36C and 36L. Runway 09-27 I've closed for T/O and landing as this is rarely used in real life so I've read from an aviation web site. My problem is the take off traffic always use 36C and do not use 36L at all. Is there anyway possible to make the traffic use both runways for take off or is there another Afcad file which makes better use of the runways than I have or which makes it realistic. I'm just trying to make use of the new runway either for T/O or landing with the other runways also available (Two for T/O and two for Landing if poss). Any suggestions on how to set up the Afcad 2 file or weather to help me achieve this. I live in the UK and have never visited Schiphol so I'm not sure if there is a usual setup for this airfield with regards to runway useage.

Thankyou for any help

Simfly04

bruin

Post by bruin » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:46 pm

Hi,
What you want (using 36L/18R for AI-T/O in combination with another runway) is not possible.

The FS2004-engine has its own rules when choosing its runways for AI-traffic. In general the FS2004-engine works as followed.

For Take-offs:
FS2004 counts the distances from the "parking spot of departure" to the "runways which are open for T/O", and chooses the runway which is closest to the parking spot.
For EHAM that means you will never get an AI-plane take-off from 36L/18L when there is also another runway open for T/O, because all the other runways are closer to every parking spot.

For AI-landings:
The FS2004-engine chooses the open runway of which the runway-heading is closest to the heading (straight line) from airfield of departure to airfield of destination.
For example:
Suppose you have opened only the tree runways 36/18 for landing, then:
- AI traffic from the UK or USA will land at 36L/18R;
- AI traffic from the West of Belgium/France and lower and Scandinavia will land at 36C/18C;
- AI traffic from Germany or further to the east will land at 36R/18L.

Joop Mak (the AFCAD-designer of NL2000) and I (AFCAD-tester) have spent a long time testing all the possible multi-runway setups, including the ones which looked the most like in real-life. Eventualy we have choosen for the one which is in the NL2000-package now, because of:
- less chance of traffic-jams at the taxiways;
- most runways in use with less chance of AI-collisions in the air.

The NL2000-runway-setup comes closest to the real-life, when setting the wind coming from 181 to 269 degrees.

Hope this helps,

Bert

simfly04

RE:AI runway useage at EHAM

Post by simfly04 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:28 pm

Hi Bruin (Bert)

Just a quickie to say thankyou for responding to my request for help so quickly and for explaining how FS2004 AI traffic work. I'll make a note of this info for future use.

The NL2000 Scenery is excellent better than alot of other scenery products that I've bought in the past for FS. Keep up the good work, we flight simmers really appreciate all the work you do.

All the best

simfly04 (Dave)