Success, despite the confusing install instructions

Questions about installing NL2000

Moderator: NL2000 Development Team

baslar

Success, despite the confusing install instructions

Post by baslar » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:57 pm

Hi all,

It seems I have to answer my own messages, lots of Views but no replies.

Well I have now succesfully installed NL2000 and I also have ILS showing in FSNavigator. Does nobody use FSNavigator? There were two separate problems not related.

1) If you run FSNavigator you have to make sure that a file called "UK2000 AFCAD2 File High Level" is at the top of the Scenery Library list at all times. I'm not sure if this file is just related to the UK2000Scenery of Gary Summons but if it isn't at the top of the list you can have problems displaying ILS in FSNavigator. That's why I couldn't see any ILS at Schiphol, Ratterdam etc. and nothing to do with NL2000 Scenery.

2) I don't remember reading in any of the NL2000 installation instructions that you have to run the V2.91 installer TWICE to get it to acknowledge this version is installed before applying the V2.92 update. This is despite at the end of the first install that is says V2.91 is installed when it isn't. At least that's what I found. The same applies if you want to uninstall.

Even then there is no folder to be found in the Addon Scenery that says V.2.92, V2.91 yes, but no other, so I'm still confused with that. My Scenery Library displays an entry NL2000_V2.92 and V2.91 though I have unticked the latter.

Finally I have to say the scenery is great but I'd have been happier if it had installed easier and I really expected a folder called NL2000 V2.92 to be showing in the game folders. Where might I still have gone wrong, I wonder?

Any comments welcome

Regards, Baslar :D

Zodiac

Post by Zodiac » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:30 pm

Hi Baslar,

I've red youre question as many other people. I speak for my self: if I don't know a answer, I don't reply in commonly. Perhabs someone else should know a answer...

First of all: I'm glad you successfully fixed your problem! Second, I don't have FSN.

In the next version the setup shall be perhaps a bit easier. In my opinion it should be better that a update-setup first remove all earlier installed files, thén install the new files instead of copy-over the existing files. You'll never know what's going wrong in this kind of process...?

Cheers,
Pull up! *whoop whoop* Pull up!

baslar

My problem

Post by baslar » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:57 pm

Thanks Zodiac for your comment,

I am a little surprised how many don't use FSN because I think it is a good aid even if it is not something one finds in real flying. We have to accept there is a big difference in FS to real flying, especially today when ground to air communication is so good. I accept that in theory the GPS should do, and does, work quite well and I used that alone for a while, but I missed the broader view that FSN gives.

If one is prepared to fly using maps for headings and timing your flight as in real flying this is the correct way but first you need the maps and the time to prepare your flight plan. Ok but a lot of my flying is casual and I don't want to make it a full time occupation. I have done some VFR flying using the wonderful addon VFR Scenery for the UK by following the road network and using road maps. It really does work and is great fun but like real flying it is also jolly easy to lose your way and there is no ground controller to tell you where you are on their radar, nor are there any road signs to swoop down and look at :) . However I did find the road where I live and some locations where my relations live by this method. This is photographic scenery taken from a height of 5000ft. The snag is the detail doesn't get better if you fly at a lower altitude as it would in real life, in fact it gets worse.

We've gone away from NLScenery a bit here but you see my point re. the value of FSN. It used to be freeware but sadly like much other software, it is now payware :( .

As regards NLScenery, what I would like to know is should there be two entries in the scenery cfg file? One for V2.91 and another for V2.92? That is what I have. The same applies to the scenery library although I have unticked the V2.91 in there.

Best Wishes, Baslar

Zodiac

Post by Zodiac » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:49 pm

As regards NLScenery, what I would like to know is should there be two entries in the scenery cfg file? One for V2.91 and another for V2.92? That is what I have. The same applies to the scenery library although I have unticked the V2.91 in there.
I'm not sure how this exactly should be. I hope someone of the NL2000 Crewmembers can tell you the correct answer :oops:

Regards,
Pull up! *whoop whoop* Pull up!

phmcr

Post by phmcr » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:16 am

Dear Baslar, I think FSN is used by many here but the reason that there is no reply is that your question has been dealt with so often and that all of which you would like to know can be found in the FAQ section.
Please search that section and you will find how to update FSN.

Regards,
Menno

baslar

Your reply

Post by baslar » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:53 pm

Hi,

Well all I can say is I looked down the FAQ's and didn't spot anything relating to FSN. Perhaps a reply to that effect sooner would have been more useful rather than ignore my messages, and better still a pointer to WHERE in the FAQ's it could be found.

I have solved that issue myself anyway. Somehow my messages aren't read properly. I have asked if there should be TWO entries in the Scenery cfg, one for V2.91 & another for V2.92. That should be a simple question to answer Yes or No.

I'm sorry to repeat I've installed loads of scenery in my time but never had the trouble I've had with this.

I will also repeat that the scenery is NOW working OK so it must have installed ok BUT there is still NO folder in the Addon scenery folder which says V2.92 so how can the Feature Panel look for it when it's not there? The only folder in the Addon Scenery folder says V2.91. If you read what I said I also said that I have TWO enties in the Scenery library one for V2.91 and another for V2.92 though I have disabled the former because I had Al aircraft below ground and disabling V2,91 cured that as well.

All I want to know is what I should have in these cases.

I hope you see my point.

Thanks, Baslar

Mark Arends
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mark Arends » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:19 pm

Sorry for the late reply, I was very busy and was hoping an other team member was going to reply our message.

If you are using FSNav and have no ILS and VOR's you have to do the following:
- After installation of NL2000 v2.92:
from the folder feature panel/nav2002 copy the 4 files nl_ils.bgl , nl_mkb.bgl , nl_ndb.bgl , nl_vor.bgl TEMPORARILY to your scenery folder of NL2000 (which indeed is named nl2000v2.91/scenery this folder is not renamed during the update).

- Start FS2004 and shut it down again

- Generate a new database in FSNavigator

- Remove the 4 temprarily files from the scenery directory.

- Now FSNav should show the ILS' and VORs. You have to repeat this procedure every time you create a new FSNavigator database.

This must be done because FSNav is not reading the navigation data out of the Afcad files, but only from the old (fs2002) files.

And it is ok the foler is named nl2000_V2_91, this folder is not renamed during the update.

baslar

Your answer

Post by baslar » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:01 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that, I'll make a careful note of this, though I did find another way to get FSNav to work.

It's a pity this wasn't mentioned in the Readme's it would have saved a lot of hasle. Someone said it was in the FAQ's. Could well be but I missed it.

I'm glad you clarified the point about the file name being V2.91 even after the update. That really did bother me. I still can't understand why I had to run V2.91 twice before V2.92 recognised that V2.91 was installed. Another point I don't remember seeing in the readme. So can I remove the V2.91 from the Scenery Library list now or does that have to stay?

Anyway all's well that ends well, and, as I said, it is very good scenery. I'm glad I stuck with it and persevered, though it did try my patience rather. The auto installers should have made things simple but FSNav is a separate issue in a way. Maybe by the time the Nth version of Flightsim evolves I might get to understand how it all works. My main FS folder is a veritable minefield with all these added folders and files. It's a job to see the wood for the trees.

Thanks again, Baslar

Mark Arends
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Your answer

Post by Mark Arends » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:02 pm

baslar wrote: I'm glad you clarified the point about the file name being V2.91 even after the update. That really did bother me. I still can't understand why I had to run V2.91 twice before V2.92 recognised that V2.91 was installed. Another point I don't remember seeing in the readme. So can I remove the V2.91 from the Scenery Library list now or does that have to stay?
It is not normal that you have to install 2.91 twice. The install tries to find the installed version in you scenery.cfg. Maybe you or an other program has changed this configuration in such a way that the upgrade doesn't recognize the entry.

To be sure which entry you can delete, you must open your scenery.cfg in a text editor. My entry look like:

Code: Select all

[Area.042]
Title=The Netherlands 2000 V2.92
Local=e:\fs2004\Addon Scenery\nl2000_V2_91
Active=TRUE
Layer=41
Remote=
Required=FALSE
So you must have 1 entry with NL2000 in it and pointing to the right directory.

baslar

Got it

Post by baslar » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:59 pm

Hi Mark,

That's what I thought but wasn't sure. Thanks for clarifying it.

I'm still puzzled why I had to install twice, I think it could be because the first attempt didn't go right and it left some files behind when it was removed my way (manually). The second time I uninstalled via the installer but only after installing twice again did it give me the option to uninstall. Very strange. It's been a rough ride.

If it wasn't running right I could be tempted to do it all again, but I think I'll leave well alone now.

Best, Baslar